Federal
Government has banned all top government officials from business class while
embarking on officials trips abroad.
This
is according to a statement issued on Wednesday by the Media Adviser to the
finance minister, Mr Festus Akanbi in Abuja.
In
the statement, Akanbi disclosed that the decision is in a bid to reduce the
amount being spent on overheard expenditure.
The statement further noted that all
top officials of government such as ministers, permanent secretaries, Chairmen
of Federal Government Committees, as well as Chairmen and Chief Executives of
Parastatals and Agencies are to travel on business class.
It will be recalled that before
now, some government officials who should have been on business class usually
travelled on first class, while many others travelled business class instead of
economy class.
Akanbi in the statement said the
new directive has been captured in a circular on review of overhead expenses
released by the Office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation.
He said the development is one of
the recommendations made by the Efficiency Unit which was set up by the
Minister of Finance, Mrs Kemi Adeosun, last year aimed at reducing overhead
expenses.
The unit was set up to engender
transparency and reduce government’s large expenditure through procurement in
the various ministries, departments and agencies of the Federal Government.

No comments:
Post a Comment