Welcome To Mannastores Blog, You can advertise on this blog by contacting - mannamart@gmail.com or 08033858078, All comments on this blog are Purely the views Of Readers and Not that Of the admin!

Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Court dissolves 17-year-old marriage




A Lagos Island Customary Court on Wednesday dissolved the 17-year-old marriage between a transporter, Haruna Amunikoro, and his wife, Alimotu, after he complained that his wife built a house without informing him.

Granting the husband's request, the court President, Mr Awos Awosola, said that the effort of the court to reconcile the parties had failed, as Amunikoro insisted on divorce.

“The marriage between the two parties is hereby dissolved with effect from today in accordance with the Lagos State Customary Court Law, 2011, Order 3, Rule 7, as amended.

“The custody of the first child and only son, Anus, 15, is awarded to the father while that of the two girls, Simiyat, 10; and Aishat, 7, remains with the wife.

“The petitioner should pay the children's feeding allowances of N10,000 on a monthly basis through this honourable court and should also be responsible for the children school and hospital bills.

“However, both parties are granted unhindered access to the child/children at any reasonable time of the day,’’ he ruled.

Awosola also ordered the petitioner to give the respondent N250,000 compensation within seven days of the judgment with which to start her new life.

Amuniloro, 42, who resides at No. 91/93 Odunfa St., Lagos Island, in his petition, told the court that his wife, a trader, bought a plot of land in Ikorodu and built a bungalow on it without letting him know.

“My wife has also started giving out tricycle and motorcycle to riders and they pay for them on instalment, which is the same business that I do.

“I have warned her severally to stop the business but she would not listen. On two occasions she has stabbed me with a kitchen knife and a scissors.

“My wife is not sincere with me. She hides so many things about herself from me. I cannot cope with her secretive ways any more, please separate us,’’ he pleaded with the court.

Alimotu, who did not deny the allegations, said that she started being secretive with her husband 
because of the sudden change in his behaviour and his infidelity.

She told the court that their marriage which was once blissful took a different turn in 2012 when they rented their own apartment.

“We were staying in my husband's family house before we rented our own apartment in 2012, since then my husband has been unfaithful to me.
“He brings different kinds of women into our matrimonial home and sleeps with them on our bed.
“Whenever I confronted him, he beats me. On three occasions my husband beat me to a pulp and stripped me naked.
“I joined him in doing thesame business because it is a lucrative one, but since I started it, I have had no rest of mind,’’ she said.

Alimotu, who had consistently prayed the court to reconcile them as she still loved her husband, however, pleaded with the court to dissolve the marriage without further delay.

“Since I have been begging my husband and his family for so long and nothing positive have come of it, please dissolve the marriage so I can go on with my life,” she said. 

No sign of EgyptAir plane technical problems before take-off - Sources






Sources within the Egyptian Investigation Committee said late on Tuesday that the EgyptAir jet that disappeared last week did not show technical problems before taking off from Paris.

The sources said the plane did not make contact with Egyptian air traffic control, but Egyptian air traffic controllers were able to see it on radar on a border area between Egyptian and Greek airspace.

He said the border area was known as KUMBI, 260 nautical miles from Cairo.

The sources said on condition of anonymity that the plane disappeared without swerving off radar screens after less than a minute of it entering Egyptian airspace.

The sources said air traffic controllers from Greece and Egypt had given differing accounts of the plane's final moments.

"A report said the plane had shown no technical problems before taking off, citing an Aircraft Technical Log signed by its pilot before takeoff.

"The paper said EgyptAir flight 804 transmitted 11 "electronic messages" starting at 2109 GMT on May 18, about 3 1/2 hours before disappearing from radar screens with 66 passengers and crew on board,’’ he said.

The report said the first two messages indicated the engines were functional.

It said the third message came at 0026 GMT on May 19 and showed a rise in the temperature of the co-pilot's window.

The report said the plane kept transmitting messages for the next three minutes before vanishing.

Meanwhile, Hisham Abdelhamid, Head of Egypt's Forensics Authority, has dismissed as premature a suggestion that the small size of the body parts retrieved since the Airbus 320 jet crashed indicated there had been an explosion on board.

"The assessment is mere assumption; it is too early to draw conclusions,” Abdelhamid said.

He said investigators were looking for clues in the human remains and debris recovered from the Mediterranean Sea.

He said the plane and its black box recorders, which could explain what brought down the Paris-to-Cairo flight as it entered Egyptian air space, had not been located.

An Egyptian forensics official said on condition of anonymity that the 23 bags of body parts had been collected, the largest no bigger than the palm of a hand.

He said their size pointed to an explosion, although no trace of explosives had been detected.

At least two other sources with direct knowledge of the investigation also said it would be premature to say what caused the plane to plunge into the sea.

"All we know is it disappeared suddenly without making a distress call," one of them said.

"Only by analysing the black boxes or a large amount of debris could authorities begin to form a clearer picture,’’ they said.

Egypt official disclosed that government had deployed a robot submarine and France has sent a search ship to help hunt for the black boxes.

He said it was not clear whether either of them can detect signals emitted by the flight recorders, lying in waters possibly 3,000 metres (10,000 feet) deep.

The official said the signal emitters had a battery life of 30 days.

He, however, said five days after the plane vanished from radar screens, air traffic controllers from Greece and Egypt were still giving differing accounts of its last moments.

Although government officials have acknowledged the need for international assistance, the U.S. Navy said Egypt had not formally requested American support beyond a P-3 Orion surveillance aircraft, which was deployed on Thursday.

Meanwhile, the relatives of the victims were giving DNA samples at a hotel near Cairo airport on Tuesday to help identify the body parts, their grief mixed with frustration.

Amjad Haqi, an Iraqi man whose mother Najla was flying back from medical treatment in France, said the families were being kept in the dark and had not been formally told that any body parts had been recovered.

He said all the officials were concerned about was to find the black box and the debris of the plane.

"That's their problem, not mine.

"And then they come and talk to us about insurance and compensation. I don't care about compensation, all I care about is to find my mother and bury her,’’ he said.

Carpenter in court for attempting to defile a minor





A 37-year-old man, Abdullah Oseni, who allegedly assaulted a minor by attempting to defile her was on Wednesday charged before an Ikeja Chief Magistrates' Court, Lagos.

Oseni, a carpenter, lives at 23, Aishatte St., Agege, suburb of Lagos, is facing a two-count charge of attempt to commit sexual assault and escape from custody.

The Prosecutor, Insp. Benedict Aigbokhan, told the court that the offences were committed on May 19 at the residence of the accused.

Aigbokhan said that the accused locked the victim - a two-year-old neighbour’s daughter - in his room and was fingering her when her mother caught him.

"The accused was arrested, but he ran away from police custody," he said.

He said that the accused was re-arrested from his hideout by the police.

He said that the offences contravened Sections 106 and 260 of the Criminal Law of Lagos State, 2011.

The accused, however, pleaded not guilty.

The Chief Magistrate, Mr Tajudeen Elias, granted the accused N500,000 bail with two sureties in like sum.


Elias ordered the accused to deposit N50,000 into the Chief Registrar’s account and adjourned the case till June 22 for mention. 

11- yr- old girl fainted after rape by 40- yr -old man



Photo:  www.nairaland.com
11 –year- old victim, whose parent did not want her name to be on print was fainted and unable to walk on her own when their neighbour , a  40- year -old man allegedly   raped her after forcing the victim to assist him suck his manhood.

Both the suspect and the victim’s Aunty live in the same compound where the incident took place at Egbelu area of Port Harcourt in Obio/Akpor Local government area of Rivers State.

The Ozuoba Police division in Obio/Akpor Local government is handling the matter and had arrested the suspect, Mr. Innocent Akppa   after the victim’s family reported the matter.

 The Rivers State Police Spokesman, Ahmad Mohammad, a Deputy Superintendent of Police (DSP) confirmed the incident and assured the victim’s family that the suspect must be charged to court.

When The Nation visited the victim at the hospital where she is recuperating she struggled and   explained her ordeal in a pensive mood that the suspect had always fingered her private part since they packed in into the compound.

She said the recent attempt which exposed the suspect was not the first time he attempted to rape her, adding that  all efforts to shout for her Aunty and neigbour to hear her prove abortive because the suspect tunes his music player high.

She noted that when the Aunty finally knock on the suspect door after searching for her in all the neigbours  houses it was them that she ran out of the house with her cloth and pant in her hand which made the aunty to believe her story.

The victim said:  “ This is not the first time he has been disturbing me,  one day when my aunty was not around he followed me to our bathroom and removed his trouser and asked me to start washing his manhood which I did.

“But this last day, he called me and said I should enter his house that he wants to send me to assist him buy something. I didn’t know what was in his mind, so I went to his door knocking, he opened and asked me to enter inside that was how he dragged me inside and locked the door.

She continued, “As soon as I entered inside his house, he removed my pant and asked me to wash his manhood and I did. And later, he said I should start sucking his manhood but I refused, I told him that I will not do it, before he carried me to his bed and put his thing inside me and blood came out.”


Mrs.   Marry Effiong, the Aunty to the victim said she didn’t know that why the suspect was always sending her girl for an errand was because of his evil plan against the little girl.
 Mrs. Effiong said:  “I didn’t notice what was going on time, that particular day I went to church and came back late. Then I told my girl to assist me prepare what we were going to eat  few minutes after I discovered that I can no longer see her so I started knocking on my neighbour’s  doors.

“Later, it occurred to me that I should knock at the door of Mr. Innocent, and when I did Mr. Innocent came out and said my girl is inside watching films. Then I immediately told her to come out and surprisingly she came out naked, that was how we reported to police.

The suspect’s brother who simply introduced his name as Mr. Ben said he cannot argue for his brother’s innocence, stressing that this is not the time to say he is  guilty or not but how they can get him out of the police cell.

Ben said  friends of the suspect has made so many effort to beg the family of the victim but the Aunty seem to have being proving difficult in spite of the N10,000 they contributed for the girl treatment.

Ben said: “I am not the blood brother of Mr. Innocent but we came from the same village in Enugu state, I cannot say he did it or not but I know that temptation is much these days. But it has happened, we met with the police and they advised us to go and beg the man as the only option for Innocent release.


“But the family of the victim is not helping matter, when we met them to plead and to ask them to withdraw the matter the Aunty started fighting us.  We are only begging not by force, we want the matter to be settled amicably.”

Edo State Govt retracts letter issued to announce the approval of the appointment of the new Oba of Benin


Following the passing of the Oba of Benin, Omo n'Oba n'Edo Uku Akpolokpolo Erediauwa I, Edo state government announced today that it has approved the appointment of His Royal Highness Edaiken N’Uselu, Crown Prince Eheneden Erediauwa as the new Oba of Benin. The government have now withdrawn the letter earlier issued, saying it was released in error.

Follow Us

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...